Everyone likes melting stuff. This is fact. If there was a job that just involved melting things then people would kill to get it. Currently my job is melting plastic, I eagerly await the assassination attempts...
There's a lot of cool stuff you can buy on the internet (most of which can be found here). I can't believe people managed to survive before they could buy dog beer (exactly what it sounds like), melting ice cream door stops (hopefully not exactly what it sounds like) and 'female urination devices' (oh dear god I can't believe it's exactly what it sounds like). Thankfully now, if you can imagine it, you can practically guarantee you can have it on your doorstep in 3 to 5 working days. And if it doesn't exist yet then you can invent it and sell it, because, somewhere, in a dark corner of the internet, there will be people willing to buy it, no matter what it is.
Apparently I now qualify as one of those people. Enter polymorph:
When put in hot water it all comes together to create a substance that whilst hot, is stretchy, mouldable and incredibly bouncy, which I found out when I dropped a big ball of it on the floor. Hey, ever had a 60 degree ball of bouncy plastic flying around your kitchen? No?! Well I know what you're doing this weekend...
In addition to just melting the plastic over and over, mindlessly playing with it and making dinosaurs out of it, at some point I got around to making some bear claws:
I coloured the top two using black powder paint. However, the end result looks too much like plastic, which is surprising considering what they're made out- Oh. I should've probably seen that one coming.
Never mind, that's why I left one white. I covered it in primer and then airbrushed it. I wasn't very careful but then neither are bears when they're tearing their claws through hikers' torsos. They don't really care what their claws look like as long as they're sharp.*
I should get plenty more opportunities to play with polymorph during preproduction. Now if only I could find a way of writing a water jetpack and a flying shark into the script...
You can get a credit on the film, a DVD, a t shirt, exclusive artwork (including a bear claw) and even the completed panda costume by donating to Pandamonium. So what are you waiting for? Donate now and be part of a project to remember!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499149634/pandamonium-short-film
*This is the excuse I will be using from now on whenever I do subpar work.



No comments:
Post a Comment